Marin Sanitary FAQsFrequently Asked Questions



If you don’t see your question here, you may contact us and a customer support representative will assist you.



Can I have additional carts?
Our residential 3-cart program provides one for garbage (landfill), one 64-gallon, split-cart for recycling, and one compostables cart for yard waste and food scraps/food soiled paper.

These are your options for residential carts:

  • Garbage (landfill) carts are available in 20, 32, 64 and 96 gallon sizes. You may upsize your garbage cart or add an additional cart for an increased monthly rate.
  • Recycling split-cart containers are available in 64-or 96-gallon sizes. If you have a 64-gallon split-cart for recycling, you can upsize to a 96-gallon cart for no extra fee.
  • Compostables carts are available in 32-and 64-gallon sizes. Additional recycling and organics carts are available for a small monthly fee.

If you wish to change a cart size, please contact customer support at (415) 456-2601 or visit our Residential Services page for more information.

Why do I need to space my carts 2 ft. apart?
We use automatic trucks that utilize a hydraulic tipping arm. Since the drivers no longer get out of the trucks, we ask that you space your carts 2 ft. apart from each other and from cars, mailboxes, and trees so the tipping arms can easily access your carts.
What can I do with large items that I need to dispose of?
If the item is still useful, we suggest that you try and find a reuse center that will take it as a donation. Otherwise, you can schedule a bulky item pickup or drop it off at the Marin Resource Recovery Center. Special handling fees may apply.
Can plastic bags be put in the recycling cart?
No. Plastic bags clog our sorting machine when placed in your curbside container. Please only put these in the gray landfill cart. Some grocery stores will take back clean plastic bags at designated locations.
Should I keep the caps on or take them off?
Keep the caps on your bottles and jars.
Can I recycle milk cartons?
Not in your curbside container. While cartons and aseptic containers can be recycled in some systems, our facility is not setup to process this material.
Can I put compostable plastics in the green cart?
Unfortunately, we do not accept compostable plastics in the organics (green) cart or the recycling cart.

Redwood Landfill produces compost from local yard trimmings and residential food scraps. Because it is listed by the Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) for organic farming applications and participates in the US Composting Council Seal of Testing Assurance program, it cannot accept any plastics at all even those labeled as “compostable” or “biodegradable”. All compostable/ bio-based plastics should be placed in the gray landfill bin.

What can I do to prevent odors in my compost cart?
Try keeping your cart in a cool dry place and mixing the wet materials (food waste and grass clippings) with dry materials (leaves, paper, and straw). Consider keeping your food scraps in the freezer and putting the leftovers in your cart the night before your collection night.
Where can I get the finished compost?
Compost can be purchased from WM Earth Care and American Soil and Stone year round. We also have a compost giveaway every year at our Customer Appreciation Day.
What should I do if my cart is missed on my service day?
If it is after noon on your service day, please call our Customer Service Department within 48 hours at (415) 456-2601 to report the miss. Misses on Fridays must be reported by Tuesday morning.  We will send a driver back out to your residence as soon as possible.
I have a large cardboard box; what should I do with it?
Please break down the box as best as you can into 2X2X2 bundles and place them beside your recycling cart. Alternatively, you can drop the box off at the Marin Resource Recovery Center free of charge.
Which light bulb is hazardous waste and which one can I throw away?
Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) are considered hazardous waste and can be brought to the Marin Household Hazardous Waste Facility for proper disposal. Incandescent lightbulbs can be put in your garbage bin or brought to the facility for recycling.
Why do we have a split cart for recycling? Why is dual stream more efficient than single stream?
Having a dual-stream recycling program allows for more recycling because paper products do not become soiled by liquids and are not shredded by broken glass. It also makes it easier to hand sort the rest of the materials.
What to do if my cart is broken or is lost/stolen?
Please call the office (415) 456-2601 as soon as you can and we will exchange it with a new one.
What to do if my cart is dirty?
If you do not want to clean your cart, you can always schedule a steam cleaning for a nominal fee by calling (415) 456-2601.
Where does it go: garbage, recycling or compostables?
Use our handy Where Does It Go, Joe tool to find out which cart the item in question should go into.

Copyright © 2022 Marin Sanitary Service. All Rights Reserved.

Translate »