We know that collecting food waste for composting can be… well, downright yucky. Here are some tips to keep that “yuck factor” to a minimum.
- Wash your kitchen compost pail regularly with soap and water. Some pails are even dishwasher safe!
- If you’re a newspaper subscriber, consider a newspaper liner for your kitchen compost pail. See liner videos below.
- Place meat scraps in your freezer and only put them into your green compostables cart on collection day.
- Sprinkle both your kitchen pail and green compostables cart lightly with baking soda to absorb odors.
- Use a hose to rinse your green compostables cart, letting any debris rinse out onto your lawn (not a storm drain).
- Layer wet (kitchen scraps or grass clippings) and dry materials (leaves or branches) in your green compostables cart to reduce the chances of materials becoming stuck.
Diverting food waste from landfill is extremely important, and we appreciate you doing your part to achieve Marin’s zero waste goal!