Check out the Residential Services Guide for complete service details.
- Place all carts at the curb the night before your service day or before 6:00 AM the day of service. If this is not possible, please call (415) 456-2601 and a Route Supervisor will assist you. Certain areas of Fairfax may be required to place carts at the curb the night before.
2. Place carts, ideally, two feet apart with wheels and handles facing away from the street at the curb to help prevent carts from being tipped over as they are serviced by our fully or semi-automated collection systems.
3. Cart and dumpster lids must close completely. Environmental regulations dictate that cart lids must be closed at all times to prevent spillage. Containers that are consistently overloaded and not closed may indicate the need to upgrade to the next larger container size. Please call our customer service department for available cart options at (415) 456-2601.
4. Remove any weights, bungee cords or ropes that were used to secure the lids of carts on your pick-up day.
These can cause problems with the equipment and undue delays for the driver. MSS will not be responsible for loss of bungee cords, ropes, etc.
MSS Carts are designed to be picked up by our fully automated or semi-automated tipper arms on our collection trucks. This specialized arm allows for the weight of the cart to be lifted by the truck and not the driver, which helps keep the driver safe. Customers who use their own containers for extra yard waste and/or recyclables MUST follow certain rules to have the materials collected.
5. Did you know that you can rent extra yard waste carts for a nominal fee? You can rent these on a permanent or seasonal basis as you need them. MSS carts keep drivers and customers safe. If you have large volumes of yard waste, you can also rent a debris box and have MSS haul it to our facility for you. Yard waste cannot be collected in plastic bags. All yard waste placed in plastic bags will be charged as extras and collected by the garbage trucks.
◗If you have extra bags of garbage, please make sure the bags are no heavier than 60 lbs and that they are no larger than 64 gallons in volume. Our drivers must manually place these bags in the truck. All bags must be sturdy enough to lift without breaking. Fees for each extra bag placed at the curb will be applied to your regular resource hauling bill.
6. If you have a large household item, such as a dryer, couch, or other similar items that requires a special pick-up, please contact us at least 24 hours prior to your service day at (415) 456-2601. Fees apply. NOTE: Estimates given over the phone are subject to change after a driver has assessed the load. Please put out your special pick-up at your regular service location the night before or by 6am the day of the collection. These items may also be disposed of at the Marin Resource Recovery Center (see page 9 for details).
7. If you are going on vacation and wish to put a temporary stop on your service, please notify us at (415) 456-2601 with your stop service date and return date. If you are away for a minimum of two weeks, your account will be credited for the interruption of service; however, MSS MUST BE notified in advance. No more than one hold per billing cycle (3 months) is allowed.
8. Missed collections must be reported within 48 hours of the service day. MSS will return that same or following day. Any misses reported after 48 hours will be subject to a fee for collection.
9. Please remember to break down your cardboard boxes before placing them in the blue lid of the Split Cart. If you have extra cardboard, it MUST be packed in small 2 x 2 x 2 bundles and left by the recycling container. Larger bundles will not fit in the slot in the truck.
10. We CANNOT:
◗ By law, pick up any hazardous, biological, or medical wastes including needles.
◗ Pick up dirt, rock, tires, construction materials, hot ashes or tree stumps.
◗ Be responsible for items left in, on, or around garbage, recycling, and organics containers.
Please do not turn your green cart into a vase! Thank You for keeping our drivers safe!